By: Denise Daniels
Teach the spirit of giving by taking advantage of teachable moments during the holiday.
It’s important to show children that the holidays are not only about receiving, but also about giving. We can teach kids compassion and empathy skills by helping others in need. Reaching out to others sends children a powerful message about giving.
- Visit a toy store and have your child choose a toy to donate for a child of the same age
- Prepare a meal together and deliver it together to a homeless shelter or food bank
- Coat drives are a great way to provide warm clothing for those less fortunate during the winter months
- A holiday card has special meaning to men and women in the Armed Forces who are thousands of miles away from their families during the holiday season. Make handmade cards and mail them together at the Post Office. Giving as a family not only teaches children the value of giving, but that giving can be just as fun as getting!
Lead by example- You can teach children empathy and compassion by modeling those behaviors.
- Bake cookies together to share with an elderly neighbor.
- Tell the people around you what makes them special and why they mean so much to you.
- Hold a family meeting to choose a charity they would like to support
- Teach young children to say “please” and “thank-you.” For older children, writing thank-you notes shows children how to demonstrate their gratitude to the gift-giver.
Give your children face time- Talk with your children about the importance of giving and sharing in a meaningful way.
- Share your personal stories about giving over the years. Read positive stories about giving that appear on the news or in magazines during the holiday season.
- Family activities such as playing board games, baking cookies together and decorating your home for the holidays are all fun activities that showcase the spirit of the season and the importance of family.
- Invite a neighbor who is alone to join your family for a meal or for some eggnog and cookies.
Latest posts by Denise Daniels (see all)
- Tips to Setting Attainable Goals for Your Family in the New Year - December 12, 2014
- Holiday Attitude of Gratitude - December 3, 2014
Tell Us What You Think!
Powered by Facebook Comments